Americans with Travel Withdrawals Plan to Make Up for 75 Million Hours of Lost Sunshine
NEWTOWN SQUARE, PA. – Dec. 11, 2020 – Over half (53%) of Americans who usually vacation have not gone on one since the start of COVID-19, and as a result, nearly 31% are dreaming more about travel and actively planning for 2021. Travelers plan to live out pent-up desires during future vacations according to a new survey* conducted on behalf of AMResorts® branded properties.
Survey findings revealed current attitudes and outlook for travel into the new year, including:
· Tropical Dreaming: Three in ten Americans (30%) are already planning a beach vacation next year, with the beach and ocean noted among the top five things they miss most about travel. Travelers also miss spending time with family and friends (36%), having new memories and experiences (34%), and food and drink (28%), which will likely be key factors in future vacation plans.
· Sunshine Deficiency: Limited time outdoors is also motivating travelers, with approx. 75 million hours of sunshine lost daily across all American adults combined due to pandemic restrictions. Each adult lost over a full day of sunlight this summer.
· Relaxation is King: 63% of travelers want to relax more than usual on vacation next year due to 2020 stress.
· Worth the Splurge: Forty-seven percent of younger travelers (age 18-34) and 44% of parents with children under 18 plan to spend more than normal on their next vacation.
Travelers are not only aching to get away, but survey results show that they are also acting on it – this includes the 62% of travelers who consider themselves the planner of their group and take the lead on organizing trips.
· Planning Already Underway: 69% of vacation-goers say that they plan their vacations months in advance, and half (51%) say their trips are meticulously planned, much of 2021 planning conversations are taking place now.
· Travel Talks: COVID-19 and election conversations have had to make room for travel destination chats as 22% of people are spending more time talking to friends and brainstorming where they want to travel to next year.
· Inspiration to Action: Since the start of the pandemic, travelers unable to leave the house devoted more time to watching travel shows and documentaries (20%), and reading travel blogs, books and magazines (20%).
“This past year has, without a doubt, changed every aspect of our lives – including the way we vacation and spend our downtime. We know travelers are eager to turn their pent-up wanderlust into new vacation memories with family and friends,” said Erica Doyne, Senior Vice President of Marketing & Communications, AMResorts®. “AMResorts® branded properties are ready to continue to welcome back guests as they seize the sunshine they’ve been craving. We provide safe, worry-free environments and flexible travel offers that allow them to truly relax at our luxury resort brands in popular beachside destinations.”
In response to the survey results and demand for much-needed getaways, AMResorts® branded properties located across Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America debuted the Seize Your Sunshine promotion to provide up to 40% in travel savings and free extras. Now through February 24, 2021, guests who book will receive $200 in resort coupons, complimentary stays for up to two kids at family-friendly brands, $50 spa credit per person (up to two per room) at adult-only brands, and more for travel through December 2021. Vacation planners also have access to a one-stop-shop resource for tips and inspiration to travel with confidence.
For more information on the Seize Your Sunshine promotion, terms, and to book at one of six luxury resort brands to fit every vacation need, visit www.amresorts.com/seizeyoursunshine
*AMResorts®, an Apple Leisure Group company, partnered with the strategic insight agency, Opinium, to conduct a survey of 2,000 nationally representative U.S. adults interested in travel between November 17, 2020 and November 24, 2020.
AMResorts® collectively provide sales, marketing and brand management services to eight individually unique resort brands including Zoëtry® Wellness & Spa Resorts, Secrets®, Breathless®, Dreams®, Now®, Reflect® Resorts & Spas, Alua® Hotels & Resorts and Sunscape® Resorts & Spas. The AMResorts® collection of brands is continuously raising the all-inclusive concept to a new level of luxury with its signature Endless Privileges®, Unlimited-Luxury®, and Unlimited-Fun® programs. Located throughout Mexico, Jamaica, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Panama, and Spain, AMResorts’ 67 award-winning properties treat every guest to premium accommodations, desirable locations and extraordinary inclusions. The brands in the collection include: Zoëtry Wellness & Spa Resorts (zoetryresorts.com; 1-888-4-ZOËTRY); Secrets Resorts & Spas (secretsresorts.com; 1-866-GO SECRETS); Breathless Resorts & Spas (breathlessresorts.com; 1-855-65-BREATHE); Dreams Resorts & Spas (dreamsresorts.com; 1-866-2-DREAMS); Now Resorts & Spas (nowresorts.com; 1-877-NOW-9953); Reflect Resorts & Spas (reflectresorts.com), Sunscape Resorts & Spas (sunscaperesorts.com; 1-866-SUNSCAPE) and Alua Hotels & Resorts (aluahotels.com). Images, logos and informational material about the AMResorts® collection of brands and properties are available at amresorts.com/mediasite/media.