The coronavirus pandemic may have stalled international travel for 2020, however, data from Squaremouth shows Americans have a pent up desire to travel abroad in the new year.
- 65% of all 2021 trips booked this year, amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, are to international destinations.
- A majority of Americans plan to take international trips at the beginning of 2021.
- Most international trips are booked to destinations that are already accessible to Americans.
Travelers Planning International Adventures In 2021
A pent up desire to travel abroad has led the majority of Americans to plan international trips for the beginning of 2021.
- International destinations account for 86% of all planned trips in January and February 2021.
Travel Restrictions Play a Role in International Destination Selection
Most international trips are booked to destinations that are already accessible to Americans.
- Mexico is the most popular international destination in the new year, replacing the US as the top destination for the first time since COVID-19 began.
- Caribbean countries make up the remaining top 5 international destinations – The Bahamas, US Virgin Islands, Aruba, and Jamaica.
SQUAREMOUTH compares travel insurance policies from every major travel insurance provider in the United States. Using Squaremouth’s comparison engine and third-party customer reviews, travelers can research and compare travel insurance policies side-by-side. More information can be found at squaremouth.com