MIAMI (Oct. 24, 2019) – The all-inclusive Occidental Tucancún is proud to announce that its Executive Chef Omar Ruíz has recently won Unilever Food Solutions Mexico’s award for the Best Mexican Dish 2019. Close to 800 industry professionals throughout Mexico registered to be considered for this competitive award. Fifty dishes and their corresponding chefs were selected to go on to the second round of the voting process which was open to the public via Facebook. The six most popular dishes received more than 8,200 ‘likes’ on Facebook from voters and were chosen to move on to the contest’s final judging event.
On October 15, Chef Omar Ruíz presented his delectable dish, Taquito de Lengua y Tuétano (Tongue and Bone Marrow Taquito) to an international jury of experts during the contest’s final event held at El Colegio Superior de Gastronomía in Mexico City, beating out five other finalists (5th Avenue Café Internacional, Hotel Emporio Reforma, Hyatt Ziva, Restaurante Tommy and Xavage) from throughout the country.
“Chef Omar’s Unilever award is well-deserved — anyone who has tried his spectacular Taquito de Lengua y Tuétano or any of his other dishes knows that he is a true culinary genius,” said Alvaro López, Occidental Tucancún’s general manager. “His innovative and delicious creations ensure that all of our guests discover new flavors and favorite dishes throughout their stay.”
Along with holding the esteemed title as the mastermind behind Unilever Food Solution Mexico’s Best Mexican Dish 2019, Chef Ruíz was also awarded the following prizes:
- A cash prize to go towards the enhancement of his culinary work at the resort.
- Editorial exposure of his recipe and the history behind it in Animal Gourmet Magazine in 2020.
- Additional visibility to the public (via social media voting rounds) in the hopes of more people trying his many creations.
Located on the white sand and crystal-clear waters of the Caribbean, the recently renovated all-inclusive Occidental Tucancún is a foodie’s dream come true. Guests of the resort can enjoy a full array of culinary options, including a full international buffet and three à la carte restaurants headlined by Chef Ruíz, serving delicious seafood and an abundance of Mexican and Italian delicacies. Dining options include:
- Mirador – The main restaurant that offers guests a full buffet with a different theme every night, accompanied by beautiful ocean views.
- La Claraboya – Enjoy delicious seafood dishes, each one perfectly prepared by an expert kitchen staff.
- México Lindo – Discover the delights of excellent and incomparable Mexican cuisine, with à la carte dinner service.
- La Trattoria – Sample the very best Italian specialty dishes, from traditional favorites to new innovations.
About Barceló Hotel Group
Barceló Hotel Group is the 2nd largest hotel chain in Spain and the 29th largest in the world. The hotel group’s portfolio currently boasts 250 urban and leisure hotels ranked between 4 and 5-stars with 55,580 rooms throughout 22 countries and marketed under four brands: Royal Hideaway Luxury Hotels & Resorts, Barceló Hotels & Resorts, Occidental Hotels & Resorts and Allegro Hotels. For more information or reservations, visit www.barcelo.com.