Written By: Joel Cohen, Vice President – NYCVP
It’s a New Year for New York City Vacation Packages, a New Season for Broadway, and, coming soon, a whole New Look for NYCVP and nyctrip.com.
For New York City Vacation Packages (NYCVP), the New Year brings with it new hotel choices, new products, and a new focus on group travel.
NEW HOTELS CHOICES
Going the Boutique Hotel route, NYCVP has added two new properties to its FIT collection:
- The Sanctuary Hotel is right in the heart of Times Square, but it’s a quiet oasis just steps from the hustle and bustle. NYCVP’s guests will a warm feeling enhanced by a caring staff, as well as complimentary continental breakfast daily and high speed WiFi internet access throughout the property. NYCVP’s favorite part of the Sanctuary? The Haven Rooftop, a year-round indoor-outdoor food and drink venue with breathtaking views!
- The Hotel Hayden, in the trendy Chelsea neighborhood, offers great rates, stylish guestrooms, a rooftop bar and complimentary continental breakfast and Wifi. Within walking distance of the Hayden is the Highline, New York City’s 1 ½ mile elevated park; the hip Meatpacking District and the brand new Whitney Museum of American Art; and the Chelsea Market food hall. The hotel is an easy stroll or a convenient subway ride to Times Square and the Theatre District.
New in 2017 for NYCVP, the Hyatt Centric Times Square and the RIU Plaza Times Square have already been instant hits with travel agents and travelers. Both hotels are solid 4-star properties with a variety of room types to satisfy all guests. The RIU includes a full American breakfast buffet, while the Hyatt Centric has a 54th-floor rooftop terrace bar with an incredible view of Times Square.
Because NYCVP is focused exclusively on New York City, the company can provide so much more than anyone else. That gives them the freedom to create products and events that make retail travel agents look like heroes to their clients.
- Skating in Rockefeller Center, for instance, has been a dream for many visitors to the City. How would a travel agent arrange that? NYCVP has the answer. In cooperation with Rockefeller Center’s famous rink-side restaurant Rock Center Café, the company now can arrange reserved-time skating on the celebrated rink. So that NYCVP’s staff would be familiar with how guests would enjoy the experience, they recently had breakfast at the Rock Center Café and had fun skating on a crisp, clear Sunday morning.
- In response to suggestions from travel agents, NYCVP introduced several Hosted and Escorted weekends in the City, and plans to add even more.
- In April, there’s a Best of Broadway hosted vacation that includes seats at two of the 2017 Tony Award-winning shows, Dear Evan Hansen and Come From Away. On this special weekend an NYCVP host accompanies guests from morning to night on sightseeing tours, meals and of course, the Broadway shows.
- Thanksgiving week can be hectic and stressful for travelers who are unfamiliar with the City – a perfect time for another hosted experience. The Thanksgiving in New York City Hosted Vacation includes lots of holiday happenings, plus a Broadway show and seats at the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Add in sightseeing, many meals and a morning to nighttime host, and this may be the perfect start to anyone’s holiday season.
- Thanksgiving is one of the most popular times for visitors to the City, there being this “little” parade on Thursday morning. Not so “little” is the crowd that gathers along the parade route to watch the balloons, floats, bands and celebrities that make up the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day extravaganza. For many years, NYCVP has organized breakfast parties so guests could watch the parade in comfort, either above or in front of the massive crowds. This year they are adding a 5th parade viewing party at one of the most iconic venues in Midtown Manhattan, Gotham Hall. A Designated New York City Landmark, Gotham Hall has welcomed dignitaries, US presidents, entertainers, and celebrities of all sorts. This Thanksgiving it will welcome travel agents’ clients as they feast on a breakfast buffet, then step right outside to the sidewalk along the 6th Avenue parade route.
- NYCVP is unique in that they provide travel agents with both individual/family (FIT) and group bookings. Regardless of the size of the party, NYCVP can provide travel arrangements that are completely flexible and customized. They have recently added staff to handle the increasing number of group inquiries and bookings; it’s a sign that travel agents are realizing the income potential of marketing New York City to groups – students, social organizations, churches, senior centers, reunions, theatrical associations – even organizing ad hoc groups promoting the City’s holiday events. How well-staffed is NYCVP’s Group Department? Only 5 total staff – but with a combined 150+ years in the travel industry!
- FIT bookings, Group bookings, it doesn’t matter. NYCVP pays commission on everything that’s booked (and 10% on Marriott/Starwood group bookings, not 7%).
NEW ON BROADWAY
The new Broadway season will be upon us soon, with some new faces, new revivals and new surprises.
- The Iceman Cometh stars Denzel Washington in his Broadway return. This will be a hard-to-get ticket (but not with NYCVP!)
- Frozen – Disney Theatrical brings this popular movie to life on Broadway.
- Escape to Margaritaville is Jimmy Buffet’s first Broadway show – Parrotheads rejoice!
- My Fair Lady and Carousel return after so many award-winning years.
- Rocktopia fuses 20th century rock (think Journey and Queen) with 19th century classical (think Beethoven and Strauss)
NYCVP has tickets to all Broadway and Off-Broadway shows, plus concerts, ballet, sporting events and Radio City Christmas Spectacular. All ticket purchases are commissionable.
NYCVP built its own reservation platform and web booking engines from scratch. However after 20 years of processing reservations, confirmations, documents and payments, it’s time for new technology. So NYCVP is working with a travel technology company to develop both back-office and B2B reservation platforms that will take NYCVP into the next generation of travel systems.
You’ll hear more about the benefits to you as the systems are implemented – including an enhanced internet booking engine for you, much more descriptive documents for your clients, and an even better website for everyone.
SAME OLD CONTACT INFO
There’s a lot of new things going on at NYCVP, but their phone, email and web information hasn’t changed. It’s still all about “nyctrip.” Call 877 NYC-Trip, visit nyctrip.com, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.